Aims and Scope
Ecos de Economia is an international journal of applied economics, with a particular interest in the quantitative analysis of economic, financial, and public policy issues and/or themes related to Latin America. Articles that include and analyze national data are particularly welcome, since these data are often unavailable to international researchers outside the region. The journal is not interested in manuscripts that are solely conceptual in nature.
Preferred and Acceptable Languages
Manuscripts in English are preferred, but manuscripts in Spanish are acceptable. Authors should be aware that articles in English have an international audience, while articles in Spanish have a regional audience. Communication with authors and reviews of manuscripts will proceed in the language in which the authors initially contact the journal and/or in the language used in the manuscript.
Ecos de Economia is published in June and December, but articles will be posted on-line shortly after acceptance.
Submission of a Manuscript Precludes Submission to Another Journal
Authors sending manuscripts to the journal must provide exclusive rights of publication to Ecos de Economia. As a consequence, submission to the journal precludes the authors from submitting the manuscript to any other journal for review until they are notified by Ecos de Economia that their manuscript is no longer under consideration for publication. Authors will be required to provide a copyright to the journal prior to publication.
Procedure for the Review of Submitted Manuscripts
The journal follows a two-part process to provide an efficient review of submitted manuscripts. The Editor-in-Chief, in consultation with the appropriate Associate Editor(s), first reviews the manuscript to determine whether it potentially could provide a valuable contribution to the applied economics literature. In making the initial decision he considers the pertinence of the topic, the validity of the analysis, and the quality of the presentation. If he finds the manuscript promising, he sends it to a referee in the appropriate field for a thorough, written review.
In the event that the Editor-in-Chief rejects the manuscript after the initial review, the corresponding author is notified of the decision and is not provided with a written review. If the manuscript is sent for a thorough review, this review will be provided to the authors regardless of the decision on publication following this review.
Acceptable Format for Submitted Manuscripts
Articles should be provided in electronic form in WORD and PDF and sent to journal´s `s email address. If the article includes photos or graphics, they should be sufficiently clear to permit evaluation of the manuscript. Better quality photos or graphics may be required for publication. . When the articles possess mathematical information and/or econometrics these should be done directly in letter Swis 721 LtCnBt, size 10.5 with the formulas solely in Word (Microsoft Editor in equations 3.0) to avoid problems of presentation. Tables should be with tabs and not have`insert table`. The article should not exceed 10,000 words, and shorter articles are preferred. Manuscripts should be provided in 1.5 spacing and in 12 point font. In special cases the editorial committee will accept initial manuscripts in a different format.
Each article should contain the following:
- A title in English. If the manuscript is in Spanish, a title in English must also be provided. ).
- An abstractin English of no more than 100 words describing the objective, methodology and principal conclusions. If the article is in Spanish, the abstract must be provided in Spanish and English.
- Key words (Spanish and English); minimum three, maximum five.
- JEL classification code(s); at least one
- Details of the author: name, academic level, email address and postal address, institutional affiliation (current institution of work, faculty, department, office, etc). If belonging to a research group, the name of the group should be noted.
- The article should contain at least five sections that include an introduction, the methodology, the results, the conclusions, and references. Articles presenting model results should consider including the relevant data in an appendix.
Quotes and References
Ecos de Economia adopts the APA 6ta. ed. system for quotations and references.
- Short textual quotes of 3 lines or more are incorporated in the text using quotation marks to indicate them. Longer textual quotes are separated from the text and tabbed from the left margin without need for quotation marks. In both cases, the source should be cited completely, eg. author, year and number of page (Ortiz, 1999, p.2). Quotes are eliminated from the foot of the page, except in using them as clarifying notes. At the end of the article are listed all bibliographical references used in alphabetical order.
- Paraphrases should contain only the author`s name and year of publication (Ortiz, 1999).
- If the work has more than three authors, they are cited the first time with all the surnames, and thereafter with the surname of the first author only, followed by the phrase et al.
- If there are more than six authors, et al. is used from the first mention.
- At the end of the article should appear the bibliographical references (only those used inside the text). They are organised in alphabetical order while works by the same author are ordered chronologically using French indentation with double spacing.
Surname, Name. (Year). Title. City: Editorial.
Capital of books or works of reference
Surname, N. & Surname, N. (Year). Title of chapter or entry. In Surname, N. (Ed.), Title of book. (pp.xx-xx). City: Editorial.
Books in electronic form
Surname, N. (Year). Title. Sourced from http://www.xxxxxxx.xxx
Articles from printed journals
Surname, N. (Year). Title of article. Title of publication, volume (number), pp. xx-xx.
Articles from the Web
Surname, N. (Year). Tíitle of article. Title of publication, volume (number), pp. xx-xx. Sourced from http://www.xxxxxxx.xxx
Articles of daily publication, from the Web
Surname, N. (Year, day of the month). Title of article. Title of publication. Sourced from http://www.xxxxxxx.xxx
Oscar William Caicedo Alarcón
Managing Editor |Ecos de Economía: Latin American Journal of Applied Economics
Phone (+57 4) 2619500 Ext. 9465
Universidad EAFIT | Medellín-Colombia
email@example.com | firstname.lastname@example.org
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under aCreative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).